Management of Plug-Ins

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Wed Aug 11 14:24:58 EDT 1999

                  _Management of Plug-Ins_

     As part of my overview/review of the Ramifications of Multimedia in Electronic Journals, I am greatly interested in learning about the management of the installations of plug-ins / helper applications  to support the Multimedia in these journals in academic and research libraries/ institutions.

     I am interested in managing the plug-ins / helper applications for any  and all types of multimedia found in these e-journals, notably, audio, video, animation, VRML, and animation., as well the management of
plug-ins in general.

    Are the plug-ins installed and/or maintained from a central server, or are they installed machine-by- machine? Otherwise?

   In general, what are the issues faced in installing and maintaining such plug-ins? The associated costs? Policy issues?

   As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, questions, or critiques are Most Welcome!

   Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University