[WEB4LIB] scanner for a laptop

Edward Wigg e-wigg at evanston.lib.il.us
Wed Apr 28 18:53:13 EDT 1999

At 02:53 PM 4/28/99 -0700, Thomas Edelblute <thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us> wrote:
>Cross-posted to multiple lists-sorry for the duplication.
>
>Has anyone connected a wand scanner to a laptop computer?  I have
>programmed several Intermec scanners for PCs to they can scan in barcode
>numbers, and they plug into the keyboard connection on a PC.  Now we are
>getting a laptop computer for the bookmobile, and it suddenly dawned on
>me that I don't know how to get a scanner on a laptop.  Any suggestions
>will be appreciated.

I've only done this with Thinkpads and Symbol lasers, but variations should
be possible for other laptops. The Thinkpads have a single PS2 connection
that is wired for both mouse and keyboard -- you can plug a mouse in
directly, but to use an external keyboard you need a splitter dongle. You
can then use a standard PS2 keyboard wedge, BUT you might find that to
sense a the keyboard/wedge there must actually be a keyboard there. The
solution is a wedge that pretends to be a keyboard too -- these are
available for Symbol lasers; for other brands you should check with your
supplier.

Edward