DeskRef virtual ref desk revamped using Links v2.0

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Wed Apr 28 09:56:26 EDT 1999

We just finished revamping our "virtual reference desk" site using Gossamer
Thread's Links v2.0 package of cgi scripts (mentioned on Web4lib by Peter
Scott back in February). We're excited by the ability that our user
community will now have to add, modify, and rate listed sites; and by our
ability to track not only the top-rated sites, but also the sites getting
the most hits. With these tools, we should get the feedback needed to create
a lean and efficient tool for quick reference.
Some observations on Links 2.0, for others considering it for link
management projects:
Links 2.0 comes with templates employing CSS, so if you're new to the idea
of html being built from templates and/or CSS, prepare for a learning curve.
Since the package does come with ready-made templates, there is a temptation
to tinker with them bit by bit, which will tend to produce a lot of projects
that look alike. I changed font styles, put in a logo, and rearranged some
of the page elements--but it's still recognizable as something developed
from the templates.
Unless you're prepared to delve into the raw data settings, there's no way
to change the data elements being stored and indexed. Without a lot of work,
there's no way Links could have been customized to the degree that--for
instance--Roy Tennant was able to do for us with the KidsClick! directory of
web sites. So Links may work better for some straightforward link management
projects, but may be more difficult with more specialized projects.
Links also has email confirmation, notification, and newsletter features
that we have not yet implemented.
I've posted queries on the Links support bulletin boards, without getting
any responses.
Links 2.0  is free to nonprofits, so the price is right!
The URL for DeskRef is:
http://www.rcls.org/deskref
The URL for Gosssamer Threads is:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/