Summary of responses for Intermediate/Advanced Internet class

lerczak at juno.com lerczak at juno.com
Mon Apr 26 11:53:27 EDT 1999

First, another thanks to all those who responded to my query, you were a
great help!  Second, there were two clear winners as far as what is
considered an Intermediate Internet topic - searching skills and
subject-oriented classes.

Out of a total of 19 responses, 8 suggested in-depth searching classes.
This included boolean logic, specialized search engines, and knowledge of
how search engines work.  For some people this was done with a one to two
hour seminar, for others it was a 3 hour workshop, for one it was a 6
hour class for credit.

Behind searching came downloading (3 responses), email, listservs,
newsgroups and library databases (2 each for these). Lastly (1 suggestion
each) came home setup for Internet access, web design, evaluation of
sites, telnet, virus protection, cookies, and channels.

The majority of libraries are presenting subject-oriented workshops.
These tended to be seminar and not hands-on type classes.  One person
told me that their classes were 45 mins. long, others didn't specify.
The topics included (number of times it was suggested is in parentheses):

Genealogy (4)
Job hunting (3)
Finance/Investing (3)
Travel (2)
Info for book lovers (2)
Readers advisory (1)
Health (1)
Cancer (1)
Obesity (1)
Tax info (1)
Security issues on the Internet (1)
Love/Dating (1)
Shopping (1)
Child safety online - for parents (1)
Music lovers (1)
College bound (1)
Homeschoolers (1)

If anyone has any further questions about my results, please write.

Nicki Lerczak
Reference/Internet Librarian  / Olean Public Library
lerczak at juno.com                   \ 134 N. Second St.
home.eznet.net/~opublicl       / Olean, NY 14760
"Eating kittens is just plain wrong!"