Setting up a fake proxy server w/ Internet Explorer

Mary Martin mmartin at fspl.lib.ar.us
Thu Apr 22 11:13:40 EDT 1999

Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of struggling with our Gates computers. All our
current computers are running Netscape Navigator, but for obvious
reasons, the new Gates computers are set up with Internet Explorer. Our
staff wants me to limit the Internet access on one of these computers to
only the online databases we subscribe to.

I have set up a fake proxy server on one of our Netscape machines by
following Andrew Mutch's instructions
(http://tln.lib.mi.us/~nort/tech/lockin.htm). I've been working on
trying to modify those instructions to work with IE. However, I've been
having some difficulty getting some of the more complex Web addresses to
work with IE.

For instance, I had no problem getting IE's fake proxy server to work
with the address galenet.gale.com. But it seems that for any address
that contains a subdirectory (www.umi.com/pdqauto, for instance), the
computer refuses to go there.

Has anyone had any luck setting up a fake proxy server on IE? Any
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Mary
--