[WEB4LIB] RE: Question concerning backward navigation

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Apr 22 09:50:00 EDT 1999

> <input type="button" value="<-Back" onclick="history.back()">

> <input type="IMAGE" value="<-Back" img src="Submit.gif" border="0"
> onclick="history.back()">

I know I harp on this, but it troubles me that page authors are so willing
to put up pages that have no provision for users who disable Javascript.
This is an issue of accessibility, all too often it's an issue of browser
independence, and it's an issue of simple consideration for our users.  If
someone makes a conscious decision to disable Javascript, or any other
feature of their browser, it isn't for us to question that decision or nag
them into reversing it.  It's our job to support it.

All of the examples above will present a broken button or link for a user
with Javascript turned off (and also for people whose browsers don't
support Javascript--if you're going to write them off, do so consciously
and with a good reason you can explain to your boss).

I still maintain that creating a "Back" link relative to the user's
history is poor site navigation and unnecessary in any case, but if you're
compelled to do so, at least consider something like this:

<script language="Javascript"><!--
document.write("<p><a href=\"javascript:history.go\(-1\)\">Go
Back</a></p>");
// -->
</script>
<noscript>