[WEB4LIB] Intermediate/Advanced Internet class

Charlotte G. Greenhalgh cgreenhalgh at antiochne.edu
Thu Apr 8 10:15:08 EDT 1999

I also teach internet classes, beginner to advanced. I find that for our
students advanced courses fall into 2 categorie: search strategies and
technical stuff like downloading, telnet, etc.

For the search strategies I begin to define the differences between a
commercial database and the internet and I focus on specific examples of
search strategies.  I find most  students can remember the basics from
beginner and intemediate levels, but need a refresher course with more
specific examples. I look at Hotbot Altavista Refine Your  Search and
Northern Light specifically plus Excite or Lycos as well.

 For the technical stuff I cover downloading applications and installing
(acrobat reader, real player for instance),  how to find what you just
downloaded on your harddrive, virus protection, cookies and channels.

I do all this in one and two credit classes, so you may find that you need
more than 1 hour.   Hope this helps.

Many thanks,
Charlotte

Charlotte Greenhalgh
Systems Librarian
Antioch New England Graduate School Library
40 Avon Street    Keene, NH  03431     603 357 3122 x330
cgreenhalgh at antiochne.edu

"In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This
is the law, ancient and in exhaustible."  -Buddha,  from the Dhammapada.