[WEB4LIB] Re: Tuition, Fees & Online Courses

Patrick Durusau pdurusau at emory.edu
Wed Apr 7 07:56:00 EDT 1999

Dear Web4libbers,

I recently was checking on the availability of online computer courses offered by
public colleges and universities. Much to my surprise the old parochial model of
charging nominal fees to "in-state" students versus substantial higher fees for
"out-of-state" students was being used. The fee for one "Internet Programming
Java" for "in-state" students was $36 and the fee for the same course for
"out-of-state" students was $363! (West Hills College, search on 4/7/1999) In all
fairness to California universities I should note that the larger schools charged
the same fees for "in-state" and "out-of-state" students, generally $1,500 to
$2,000 for a completely online course!

If you are interested in one ready source of information on pricing and online
classes see the California Virtual University, http://www.california.edu/.

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau