Referer URL: update

Wes Edens EDENSW at t-bird.edu
Sat Apr 24 23:45:05 EDT 1999

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier post about using a referral URL to allow off-campus users to access databases, even when those patrons fall outside the IP range.
We found that some vendors were already prepared to handle this kind of access, and literally within minutes we were up and running with them.  Others were vaguely familiar with the idea, but supportive, and we are working with them to establish referer URL access.
I just came across a great online article that clearly communicates how this technique works in practice:
<http://dmcpl.dayton.lib.oh.us/~kambitsch/referral.html>
It's my hope that within 6 months, this means of access will be offered routinely by database vendors.

Wes Edens
Electronic Resources Librarian
Thunderbird
edensw at t-bird.edu