[WEB4LIB] Which is appropriate .htm or .html?

John Silvester silveste at zoi.lib.uwo.ca
Wed Apr 21 12:56:19 EDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, jay wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded w/r/t my question on SHTML...
>
> I've got another one: what are the rules governing the use of the
> .htm/.html extensions in webpages? I've got an .html extension for the
> main/index page on our website. The rest use .htm. This doesn't seem to
> cause any problems or consternation with anyone. Does it really matter?

Actually it doesn't really matter.  The .htm extension is a legacy from
the days of Web Servers running on Windows3.x machines.  Until Win95,
files could not have more than 3 letters for an extension thus .html was
not possible if you were hosting your site on a Windows3.x (or even DOS)
computer.

John

--
John Silvester