[WEB4LIB] RE: Is the milk in the back? (was Re: Alta

Janet Kaul jmk at Synopsys.COM
Wed Apr 21 11:33:03 EDT 1999

I can't speak for all libraries, but I know in the public library where I
work, the goal is to satisfy the patron as quickly as can be completely done.
We have a popular books section right up front, as well as new books. Patrons
go through that before they can even reach the reference desks.

And certainly usage rates are tracked. That's how you weed your collection.
And it's also how we determine what the popular books are. Trust me, putting
the milk in the back whould just lead to more questions for reference about
where the milk is, and in these days of automation and reduced staff, no one
wants that to happen. :)

- Janet