[WEB4LIB] Re: Future of HTML

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Wed Apr 14 17:25:14 EDT 1999

> > For what it's worth, the browsers I consider
> > "stylesheet-capable" - Netscape 4.x, IE 4.x and 5.x (but not 3.x), Opera
> > 3.5x - routinely make up more than 90% of our traffic.
>
> This reminds me of the chicken and egg problem.  Do they make up more than
> 90% of your traffic because the people who use other browsers can't view
> your site properly and therefore don't visit after awhile?  Or do most
> users really use just netscape and ie?

I would hope the latter.  The version 3 browsers are _several_ years old,
don't support current [web] standards (as mentioned previously), and lack
features (IMAP4 support, newsreaders that don't suck etc).  I'm sure someone
will raise the (tired old) point that "NS3.x is so much faster".  Faster than
NS4 maybe.  I haven't noticed much difference in speed between NS3 and IE4,
even on our old 486 machines.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that we still have machines with Netscape 3.x
on them (hopefully we can remedy that this summer and move to IE5 on as many
machines as possible).

- Darryl

   Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
   Consulting & Development                     http://gollum.usask.ca/
   Department of Computing Services                 163 Murray Building
   University of Saskatchewan                              Main Library