[WEB4LIB] Re: ALA on Children's Internet Access

Keawe Vredenburg kevreden at ksbe.edu
Tue Apr 6 12:03:57 EDT 1999

Since 98% of our patrons ARE children (K-12), I will offer that we have
a required training program for Internet, with an online test at the
end.  Students who pass sign a statement accepting terms and conditions,
these being somewhat "moral" in nature.  They then receive a signon ID
and password.   Further, the opening screen is a similar statement that
recalls the previously signed statement and further admonishes students
to stick to business.  We feel that is about the best we can do.
Responsibility is placed on, and accepted by, the student.  In your
situation, you have less control over the children, but perhaps
imparting a sense of responsibility for Internet access wouldn't hurt?

--

                        * * * D I S C L A I M E R * * *

The views described herein are the views of the author, and do not
represent the
views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate, nor is there any
approval
or authorization of this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha
Schools
Bishop Estate.  If you suspect that any of the material in this message
or
attachments thereto is in violation of a copyright, please notify the
Webmaster
immediately by e-mail at "webmaster at ksbe.edu".