[WEB4LIB] Batch PDF Creation ....

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Sat Apr 3 12:42:40 EST 1999

Jim Harold wrote:

> Has anyone experience in the batch production of PDF documents using non-Adobe products?  Most of the documents we are processing now are in MS Word, but we have many other formats as well.  The creation of PDF versions from word processing files one-by-one is just not fast enough in our environment.
>
> The batch process available through Acrobat Distiller is not relevant since you need to have a postscript version of the document first, which is of no use to us and just adds another step the process.

Jim,

This may be only a partial solution to your problem, but for Word documents, I've had
success with a product called Local Render, available for free from Computerised
Document Control Ltd <http://www.docctrl.com/lrterms.html>.  It requires that you
have MS Word and Acrobat Exchange ver. 3, so my assumption is that it only works with
Word documents.  It adds an icon to your Word toolbar, and allows you to create pdf's
of either an open document, or to batch a selection of documents.  It's added nice
feature is that it creates "intelligent" pdf's.

>From their web page:
> The Word Headings levels are converted into Acrobat Bookmarks. The Word Cross References, Links and Web Links, etc are
> converted into AcrobatLinks and Web Links. The Acrobat "Document Information" fields are automatically populated from
> the equivalent Microsoft Word fields. Users may set security and passwords in the PDF file and automatically set the
> options to create thumbnails and optimise the file. It is possible to use either PDFwriter or Distiller to create
> intelligent PDF. Multiple files may be processed in batch mode.

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Tripp, Librarian
Spar Aerospace Ltd.
Work: ttripp at spar.ca
Home: ttripp at inforamp.net
### I saw two shooting stars last night,
### I wished on them, but they were only satellites...
### Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
                          - Billy Bragg