[WEB4LIB] Library Web site ROI

Tom Raffensperger tom.raffensperger at hct.ac.ae
Mon Sep 28 02:18:07 EDT 1998

Gay,

Since the mission of non-profit organizations is not (surprise) profits,
a bottom-line approach is ineffective in guaging benefits. Defining
measurable outcomes in a non-profit environment is challenging. Peter
Drucker evaluates non-profit organizations according to "clarity of
mission, innovative ability, clear definition of results and willingness
to measure performance". Measuring performance is difficult in that it
must take into consideration the value/efficacy of services in relation
to costs. I think the challenge for us is to find new ways of measuring
previously "intangible" benefits.

There is a fairly large body of literature on management and assessment
of NPOs. That might be a good place to start. An example comes from
Gordon Dabbs' article "Nonprofit businesses in the 1990s: models for
success" (Business Horizons, Sept-Oct 1991 v34 n5 p68:4):

   "Researchers must not, as previously observed, apply a criterion of
sales and monetary return to nonprofit organizations. The intention of
these groups is not to make money, but, as Gaudino observed, to
communicate. These businesses seek to distribute money or disseminate
scientific, religious, or other information. Thus, whereas profit
seekers must balance the interests of stockholders against those of the
customer, nonprofits seek to satisfy the needs of the customer or
associate."

Tom

     _     _ ?  Tom Raffensperger          !!      _
    / \   /"    Librarian and Instructor     @\   / \
 (_/   \_//\)   Ras Al Khaimah Colleges     {/\\_/   \_
   /|  | \      tom.raffensperger at hct.ac.ae     ||  ||
  l l  l l      http://rkw.hct.ac.ae            ll  ll