[WEB4LIB] RE: Communication between Librarian & Webmaster?

Leo Robert Klein lk13 at is2.nyu.edu
Wed Sep 16 23:07:07 EDT 1998

Much of the problem/challenge is to define exactly what a webmaster is
particularly in the context of a library.  The position itself is not
clear and added to this is the fact that it can very well change from
institution to institution depending on varying needs and resources.

I'm perfectly happy to leave the running of the network and servers to
people in the Systems department, concentrating instead on design and
(along with the collaboration of others) on content.  How the machines run
is still an enigma to me and when Windows crashes I no more know what to
do than the most complete novice.  My knowledge extends no further than
the browser's edge and that's enough.

Webbing increasingly is becoming a professional position and those issues
revolving around the web are enough for one person to deal with.  I'm not
quite sure a "techie" in the traditional sense of the word (i.e.
straight out of Systems) is enough to deal with things like layout and
interface design and, of course, content.. It's important that the person
in charge and deciding on these--to my mind--more pertinent issues be a
librarian.  If not, what are we saying about the role of our web sites?
That they are mere technical creations?

This divorce between content and machinery is a growing phenomenon, I
believe.  It's certain to grow considering the fact that what one can
do with the content is becoming more and more interesting--more
interactive--and what our users are seeing day-in, day-out on non-library
sites, they will expect to see when they visit ours.  Learning tools for
this will enhance, I believe, the traditional functions of the library
and may ultimately be more important than knowing how to configure a
server.  In any case, it's enough for one life.

Yours,

Leo Robert Klein

Leo Robert Klein                                151 E. 25th St., rm. 524
Web Coordinator &                               New York, NY.10010
Digital Resources Developer	                Tel.: (212) 802-2373
William & Anita Newman Library                  Fax:  (212) 802-2360
Baruch College/CUNY                             Email: leo.klein at nyu.edu