[WEB4LIB] Communication between Librarian & Webmaster?

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Wed Sep 16 13:09:15 EDT 1998

At 08:10 AM 9/16/98 -0700, you wrote:

>	I've been asked to give a presentation at a local library conference in
>November, and I'm planning to address the question of how to improve
>communication and cooperation between librarians and webmasters. The first
>piece of advice that I would give is, "Learn the lingo!" (i.e., technical
>jargon), but I know that for many of the librarians in my audience, that
>will be an intimidating idea.  What other suggestions would you make?
>. . .

Web development, as has been made clear in this discussion, is a
multifaceted task requiring a variety of skills -

  Content knowledge - How to make it accurate
  Objective planner - How to make it appropriate to the site and audience
  Graphic design skills  - How to make it attractive
  Interface design skills - How to make it efficient and effective
  Technical skills - How to make it work
  ODA - Other duties as assigned :)

If you find --one-- person with all of these abilities  -- and the time to
exercise them -- you are truly blessed.  In many cases, though, asking a
librarian to do --all-- of this -and- interact with faculty -and- spend 20
hours a week at the Reference Desk - well - you see the problem.

I suggest that web development is at its best a team approach.  As with any
team someone has to be 'captain' or in this case Webmaster - whether that
is the Librarian as content expert - or the tech guru is up to the politics
of the institution.

In any event, to answer your question. I would suggest the -first- step is
to define terms\roles within this team.  This is - who is responsible for
what - and how does the loop flow - It is almost always easier for people
to communicate and cooperate if they are clear on the framework.

Most of the miscommunication and misunderstanding I have seen has been not
so much over 'lingo' (we can usually figure out what jargon means) but over
role\task confusion.  Two people working on the same element of the same
project for instance - without eachother's knowledge - each assuming it is
'their' responsibility - and both getting blindsided - when they are ready
to present the results of their efforts.

Just a thought from a non-MLS\semi-guru
Opinions are strictly my own -- and all other standard disclaimers.
Paul H. Gray, Learning Resources Manager	Phone:  (817)515-6623
TCJC Northeast LRC				Fax:    (817)515-6275
828 Harwood Road				E-Mail: phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Hurst, Texas 76054