[WEB4LIB] Launching Program Resident on PC from the WEB

LABARBER at LIB.LAKEHEADU.CA LABARBER at LIB.LAKEHEADU.CA
Tue Sep 15 15:52:08 EDT 1998

Apologies for the elementary nature of this request but we are just at the
very beginning of our first crack at a preliminary organization of web access
from our public workstations.

We are setting up 3 local PC's to provide dedicated access to a variety of
tools on the Web. We are protecting the PC and its setup from any manner of
requests other than those outlined on its home page.

Is it possible to launch another piece of software, resident on that PC,
from that home page?

How is that best done?

and:

What are the security implications for this kind of activity?

Please reply to me privately unless you think this topic is worth of general
discussion.

Lynn

Mr. Lynn Barber
Catalogue Librarian - Web Librarian