[WEB4LIB] Submit Buttons vs. the Enter Key

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Sep 15 12:26:21 EDT 1998

By using a browser that does that.  It isn't controllable in HTML.

<URL:http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9801/0210.html> has a
more thorough explanation, but the gist is that browsers control how the
enter key behaves in a form, and that behavior varies among different
browsers.  People who want to keep their hands on the keyboard are advised
to make friends with Mr. Tab Key.

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#h-17.11.2>
describes the HTML 4.0 accesskey attribute, which ought to be of some
assistance.  However, to my knowledge, only IE4+ support it at all.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu