[WEB4LIB] Upgrading to MSIE 4

Glen Davies GLEN at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Mon Sep 14 15:55:29 EDT 1998

Hi

Have a look at the IE administration kit if you haven't already. It
is freely available from
http://ieak.microsoft.com/
You just have to register to use it and let Microsoft know how many
copies of the customised browser you are going to release.
The kit allows you to lock down a number of the settings, channel
setups etc.

Regards
Glen

> We've been using Internet Explorer 3.02 for a year now, and I'm experimenting
> with IE 4.01 (Win NT 4.0/SP3).  I have a few questions:
>
> * Is there a way to display the entire URL when the cursor is over a link?  I
> have "Friendly URLs" set off as I did in 3.02, but in 3.02 there was more space
> at the lower left corner to show it.  In 4.01, I only get a couple of inches.
>
> I found a Registry setting for Show_FullURL, but it doesn't appear to have any
> effect.
>
> * Are there any new security holes in terms of what users can get into when
> they use IE?  I had 3.02 sealed off with NTFS permissions, but 4.01 looks more
> challenging.
>
> * Any general warnings about making the switch from version 3 to 4?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
> Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org

Glen Davies