[WEB4LIB] Y2K on PC

Margaret F. Dikel mfriley at erols.com
Thu Sep 10 08:56:42 EDT 1998

At 05:11 AM 09/10/1998 -0700, John Hambleton, Academic Information Services
wrote:
>How are others addressing Y2K concerns with their Library's
>PC's? I have gathered the following facts: there could be
>problems with Pentium PC's produced before 1996, and there could
>be problems with early versions of Windows 95. I believe that Windows
>98 is fully Y2K compliant.

Most manufacturers and software companies have Y2K information on their
websites, including warnings, tests, and patches (if available.)

I checked the Acer website and found a test to use to check my PC's BIOS
for compatibility along with a statement that anything after XXXX date was
in compliance.   I then visited several websites for the software on my
computer
and was able to find information and a lot of patches for software I use
frequently.   I also found warnings that certain versions of programs are not
compliant and the manufacturer would not do the work to make them
compliant.   So, upgrades are in order.

I'd probably check in with your campus IS/IT department to see what they
are doing about this issue.   Funny, you hear all kinds of news about
commercial
and government projects to prepare for Y2K.   What are the colleges and
universities doing?   And what are your contingency plans should it all go
wrong?

Margaret
PS--my husband is working in Y2K contingency planning right now to make
sure we can all continue to pay our taxes.

Margaret Dikel, MSLIS
11218 Ashley Dr.                  The Riley Guide
Rockville, MD  20852           www.dbm.com/jobguide
301-984-4229                      mfriley at erols.com
301-984-6390 FAX             Margaret_Riley at dbm.com