[WEB4LIB] Re: Learning Javascript

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Sep 3 13:58:53 EDT 1998

> I can't say I know much JavaScript, but we have found it useful in
> designing our WebOPAC (III).  We used the back.history command to add a
> Previous Screen button that gets the patron back to the last
> page they were
> looking at (usually a bib record page), instead of taking them
> all the way
> back to the menu screen.
>
> We also used JavaScript to open a new, smaller window to display help
> screens.  The patron clicks on a Help button, which opens the smaller
> window.  The patron can then read the help screens while
> viewing the catalog.

Or not.  Please don't take this as a flame, but I find a lot of JavaScript
makes no allowance for the unknown percentage of users who disable it in
their browsers.  I regularly use three browsers that support Javascript
and disable it in the two I use most often.

'<a href ="javascript:history.back()">' and '<A HREF="javascript:
NewWin()">' take me exactly nowhere, which means that if I do get into one
of your "Where do I find..." screens, I have no links available to take me
anywhere else, nor can I access the online help anywhere in your catalog.

something, and Javascript has definite uses.  But also take time to learn
what uses are supplementary and what uses are exclusionary.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu