[WEB4LIB] Re: Proxy servers

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goon.stg.brown.edu
Thu Sep 3 12:02:11 EDT 1998

Re off-campus access to on-campus resources, Sheryl writes:

> I guess it boils down to what your IS department considers acceptable
> levels of access. I'd love for everyone on my campus to have a PPP account
> provided by the university...

An account provided by the university is not necessary for reliable, secure,
authenticated access to on-campus resources.  All that's needed is for your
IS people to run 1) a regular proxy server, 2) a URL rewriter, or 3) a pass-
through proxy server.

We have found option (3) above best at Brown, because it frees users from
having to change any settings in their browsers and because it offers security
that the other options do not.

  http://www.stg.brown.edu/pub/proxydoc/Proxy.tr98.1.shtml

Northwestern happily uses option 1; UVa uses option 2.  There are many solu-
tions available.

Richard Goerwitz