WWW-Z39.50 Gateway under NT?

Steinke, Leland J. Mr. SteinkeL at awc.carlisle.army.mil
Wed Sep 23 11:36:31 EDT 1998

(Apologies for a possible off-list question)

Has anybody out there got a freeware Web to Z39.50 gateway up and running
under NT?

We are using Harold Finkbeiner's zclient gateway, with modifications from
Iowa State University, running under Solaris.  It is working really well
<http://carlisle-www.army.mil/cgi-bin/usamhi/CATSgate/zform.CGI> but the
Army War College is enchanted with NT and is migrating its web server to IIS
including all of our web services.

I have been trying to get the zclient gateway working using the GNU-Win32 C
compiler and ActiveState's Perl distribution.  (zclient is working well but
the Perl scripts aren't.  further technical details masked here). If it
won't work under NT, I suppose we could run a small Solaris or Linux server
to handle the Z39.50 traffic, but that is only a last resort which I haven't
discussed with our central IS folks yet.

Thanks,
Leland

Leland J. Steinke
Assistant Director for Systems