[WEB4LIB] Inconsistent cross-browser behavior: suggestions?

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 4 12:06:52 EDT 1998

We noticed that behavior, too, but it appeared to us to affect only
Netscape 4.01. Since a (previously planned) version upgrade fixed the
problem for us, we didn't get too far into diagnosing the bug, beyond
verifying that it was happening with syntactically valid pages. We saw it
happen most often with empty  anchor elements with capital names, e.g., <a
name="B"></a>.

Do you have a URL for the page in question?

>I've noticed a disturbing inconsistency in the way Netscape (4.++) and MSIE
>(4.-5 beta) handle the simple NAME attribute of the anchor tag. We were
>testing internal document hyperlinks on an upcoming web page. The hyperlinks
>form a mini-navigation text menu in a table layout. There are six internal
>hyperlinks in the table. E.g., <A href="#whatever">bleah</A> and the
>corresponding <A name="whatever">blah</a>.
>
>MSIE consistently and correctly goes to all named anchors. Netscape will
>navigate properly to, say, one or two of such links on a menu of six but
>stalls on others. Code has been validated. Any ideas?

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Librarian
University of Wisconsin-Madison
General Library System Automation Services
pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
(608) 265-5291