Agent-based, Automated Cataloging

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Tue Sep 1 12:17:36 EDT 1998

                _Agent-based, Automated Cataloging_

    In a recent review of the potential application of Agent
technologies for Collection Development and E-Serials I consider
the possibility of using appropriate Intelligent Software Agents
for 'automated' cataloging of e-publications.

   To expand on this issue (and to have sufficient background
information on a future article (1999) on the Agent-based, Automated
Cataloging), I am greatly interested in learning of any commerical
or experimental efforts to automate various processes associated with
the Cataloging function. I am aware of work on the application of
Expert Systems for cataloging as well as Micheal Heaney's work on
'Object-Oriented Cataloging' and  early 1990s thinking on this
topic. I am also aware of the Scorpion project at OCLC that seeks to
classify and assign subject headings to electronic resources. [For
information on Scorpion and other related OCLC research project see:
http://www.oclc.org:5047/oclc/research/publications/publications.html]

  For a good overview of Intelligent Software Agents, Interested Folk
are invited to visit my LibraryAgents(sm) project that provides links to key
Intelligent Software Agent resources at the following URL:

         http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Agents.htm

  I am been inspired to consider the concept of Agent-based, Automated
Cataloging in part from my readings on Intelligent Software Agents
[We are building one of the most comprehensive colllections here at
ISU in this area] and the the expansion of the Library of Congress
Electronic Cataloging in Publication(ECIP) program and the the current
Beta Test by LC of a Web version of its Cataloger's Desktop and Classification
Plus [http://lcweb.loc.gov/cds/betareq.html]

  As always, Any and All citations, sources, queries, questions, comments,
critiques, etc., OR speculation about the possibilities, are Most Welcome

  Joy!

Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
and
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

  	"The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
				       Alan Kay