TAN: Leasing computers in libraries

Patti Brommelsiek pbrommel at bc.cc.ca.us
Fri Oct 23 17:14:49 EDT 1998

I hope this isn't too far off topic; if there's a better list to post to,
just let me know.

We are revamping our library technology plans and also determining how to
spend some unanticipated technology grant money. I know that many
corporations are moving towards leasing computers instead of purchasing
them and wondered if this was an option we should explore. We of course
have the typical problem of not knowing from one year to the next exactly
what our budget will be and I can see the potential for disaster here. So,
Web4Lib folk, the question is:  Is anyone doing this? What is your evaluation?

If there is interest, I will summarize for the list. Thanks in advance!

Patti Brommelsiek
Reference Librarian
Grace Van Dyke Bird Library
Bakersfield College