Digital Ecology

Andre Gionet agionet at nucleus.com
Sat Oct 17 20:59:40 EDT 1998

Gerry McKiernan a écrit:

<snip>

>      In one possible alternative, one could envision an archival and access
> model that mirrors the current print-based systems of local, regional and
> national collections. Instead of a local library depending on a publisher
> or service bureau to maintain its electronic collection, the local library
> could in turn do so. In this model the local library would gradually replace
> its print-based stacks with stacks of servers [A CyberStacks(sm) [{:->].
> With appropriate and necessary software and staff, it would 'acquire',
> 'catalog' and provide 'access' to instititutionally purhased materials.
> [As many know, many vendors offer local libraries the option of obtaining
> all purchased files for local loading should a library decide to cancel
> an Internet subscription to the service.]

Wow!  I must be going back to the future.  Gerry's ideas are
taking me back to 1995, when I was doing a review of
literature of the virtual library.  In my view, the concept
of local archiving of e-journals by libraries is very
possible.  The issues are not technical, but administrative
and cultural.

Administrative issues:
- getting agreement from the publisher(s) to store
  electronic journals locally.
- getting funds to buy more computer equipment (servers and
  workstations).
- getting libraries to actually agree to work together
(although
  there are many succes stories in that area).
- getting technical support for the increased number of
machines
  (servers and workstations).

Cultural issues (and breaking old habits):
- can students afford to pay for printouts everytime
  they want an article?
- can the typical library user read a journal article
  by staring at a screen for one hour?
- why make a copy of an article that could have been
  consulted in the reading room to take notes?

What do you think?

Andre Gionet
agionet at nucleus.com