[WEB4LIB] Libraries hosting people's web pages

Michael Huff mhuff at crrl.org
Mon Oct 26 14:08:56 EST 1998

> We have been asked if there are any public libraries hosting people's web
> sites - that is, providing a web server on which people within the community
> being served by that library could stage their own personal web pages.

This is a timely question for me.

Just last week, the Central Rappahannock Regional Library began setting
up to host web sites of community based organizations.  We've been in
the process of a major re-vamping our own site (which should be up
within a week or two), and we decided to offer the hosting service.

We use Dynix for a library automation system, and one of the items on
our PAC has been Community Link, a database of contact information about
different community organizations.  We felt that the web hosting service
would be a next logical step.  Right now, we've just put word out on the
community grapevine about the service, and once we 'beta-test'
procedures with a few organizations, we'll be doing some P.R.  So far,
we have a family health group (http://www.crrl.org/healthyfamilies)
online, and I've been working with a local conservation organization
(http://www.crrl.org/for) that will hopefully have some pages up by the
end of the week.

Once I've finished the final draft of our policy & guidelines on the
service, I'll be sure to either post them or provide a link to where
they'll be published.

I'll keep the list posted with our progress.

Mike Huff (mhuff at crrl.org)