[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape stand alone 4.5

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Oct 26 12:09:31 EST 1998

Mike,

One way to deal with this is to change the settings in the prefs.js file
to the following:

user_pref("custtoolbar.Browser.Location_Toolbar.showing", false);
user_pref("custtoolbar.Browser.Personal_Toolbar.showing", false);

This will set the location and personal toolbars to hidden when Netscape
loads.  However, as Cynthia pointed out, a knowledgable user can redisplay
these toolbars.  However, if you set your prefs.js file to read-only, the
next time Netscape is exited and reopened, the toolbars will be hidden
again.

The only way to permanently lock these down is using 3rd party security
software or using signed scripts.  For a more complete overview of this,
see:

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/technote/javascript/window/index.html

In practice, I've used the read-only prefs.js method and it seems to
do a good job of limiting the average user.  If you need more control, for
instance, you are trying to limit the use of the browser to a specified
set of url's -- online databases, for example -- see the following page
for more information on how to do that:

http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/lockin.htm

Andrew Mutch
Electronic Services Support