Libraries hosting people's web pages

John Jewell jjewell at library.ca.gov
Mon Oct 26 11:57:42 EST 1998

We have been asked if there are any public libraries hosting people's web
sites - that is, providing a web server on which people within the community
being served by that library could stage their own personal web pages.

Our own initial search and contact with library consultants has not turned
up anything on public libraries doing this. The general response has been
along these lines:  "I don't know of any. I would expect, with the
proliferation of free Web pages hosting sites that there would be no pluses
and a lot of minuses for a library to take this on. "

Note that the question is specifically about libraries providing such a
service - not other ISPs, AOL, GeoCities, or free web page providers
[http://www.digiweb.com/~maxlee/FWPReview/].

We would appreciate any suggested leads or information about libraries
providing this service.

-John Jewell
 California State Library