[WEB4LIB] TAN: Leasing computers in libraries

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Oct 26 00:54:39 EST 1998

I would like to know the results you get.  We have just talked with Dell this past
week about maybe leasing computers.  My question is, what do we gain over
purchase.  In full purchase I can upgrade existing PCs and rotate those replaced
to staff and faculty that have lesser machines.

Thomas

Patti Brommelsiek wrote:

> I hope this isn't too far off topic; if there's a better list to post to,
> just let me know.
>
> We are revamping our library technology plans and also determining how to
> spend some unanticipated technology grant money. I know that many
> corporations are moving towards leasing computers instead of purchasing
> them and wondered if this was an option we should explore. We of course
> have the typical problem of not knowing from one year to the next exactly
> what our budget will be and I can see the potential for disaster here. So,
> Web4Lib folk, the question is:  Is anyone doing this? What is your evaluation?
>
> If there is interest, I will summarize for the list. Thanks in advance!
>
> Patti Brommelsiek
> Reference Librarian
> Grace Van Dyke Bird Library
> Bakersfield College
> Bakersfield CA
> (805) 395-4821

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit operating
system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine