[WEB4LIB] RE: Hotmail IPs

dAVe burlingame davidb at spl.lib.wa.us
Wed Oct 14 20:31:49 EDT 1998

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Nick Arnett wrote:

}Furthermore, there are fairly straightforward ways to avoid even
}identifying oneself via IP.  See http://www.anonymizer.com , for example.

Sure, but there are still no guarantees. Witness the case of the "anon.fi"
service (exact name escapes me) a couple years ago, which was the most
widely used anonymizer/remailer on the 'net. The autorities come knocking,
and the owner buckles, giving the cops the logs of supposedly "stripped"
headers, thereby revealing the identities of everyone who had ever used
the service.

The only way I can think of to begin to guarantee anonymity would be to
first secure a library card using bogus info (to help avoid the "who was
using what when" query). From there you could set up a HoTMaiL account,
which you use via proxy servers and remailers (at least two). By
sufficiently bouncing things around, you can make your path difficult
enough to trace (though not impossible) that others begin to wonder if
it's worth the time/effort.

dAVe