E-mail...tip of the iceberg...

Peter Scott scottp at moondog.usask.ca
Wed Oct 14 11:46:39 EDT 1998

We've probably done e-mail to death by now. Perhaps we should start
discussions on other, free, web-based services which our patrons are
using on our public machines:

---web-space for personal and business pages i.e. Geocities, Xoom, and
hundreds more.
---guestbooks
---bulletin board services
---banner makers, rotators, and exchanges
---graphics creators
---counters and web-trackers
---CGI Script Hosting (these are VERY popular)
---mailing lists
---URL Forwarding or Redirection services
---remote bookmarking utilities
---pay-per-click services
---virtual book/video/CD stores
---classified ads
---Free For All Links
---and so on and so forth......

I will soon be giving seminars to our local Telco's business customers on
how to use these types of services to establish and run their businesses.
So, no doubt we'll be seeing the suits competing with the students for
access to the machines. Should be interesting....