E-mail in libraries

Julie Castelluzzo juliec at cooper.edu
Wed Oct 14 09:32:54 EDT 1998

I hope everyone isn't tired of reading opinions on this issue. I'm jumping
in...

At our library we have an abundance of Internet/database computers (both
on the same machines) - thanks to a generous donation - 23. So far, after
a year, we still don't have queues to use them, although there are times
that it almost reaches full capacity.

Even if we had only 3, I would not want to prioritize which Internet
applications they can be used for. This service is DRAWING NEW USERS into
the library. And once they are here, they discover other databases on the
desktop, new books on display, you name it!

I also agree that there are "legitimate" scholarly uses for email, and for
Web browsing in general. Just because these things can also be used for
recreation, does not mean they should be restricted.

I would also like to address the idea that students can go to other
facilities to use email/Internet. I know for a fact that some of these
other facilities on our campus are bumping users for using just email,
when other people are waiting to use things like Photoshop. So, should we
also bump them off library computers? Or should the library be the place
they know they can always come to?

Just a few thoughts. Let's keep this discussion friendly, OK?

Julie

Julie Castelluzzo          juliec at cooper.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
The Cooper Union Library   www.cooper.edu/facilities/library/library.html