[WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in libraries

Mike McGuire mike at tcnet.org
Wed Oct 14 00:48:18 EDT 1998

Geez ... it's been a long time since this list has generated such a
response. I think the last topic so active was about filtering.

While I agree with pretty much unbridled access our library's resources, a
couple of thoughts.

Sure, we offer access to the Internet and train people how to search the
Web. John Doe uses our mailing address as his 'in-care-of' address and
asks if we've received any letters for him. Do we let him use us as a
surrogate USPS?

Sure, we are tax supported and offer children's programs. Jane Doe tells
her kids to go to the library after school and wait for her to pick them
up after she gets out of work and asks if we've seen her kids around. Do
we let her use us as a child care center?

No easy answers. We need to find our direction. This discussion really
helps.

Thanks.

Mike McGuire, Director
Traverse Area District Library