Windows NT: IIS solution for web indexing

SharonQuinn Fitzgerald SharonQuinn_Fitzgerald at umit.maine.edu
Tue Oct 13 15:09:50 EDT 1998

Please bear with me as articulating the  question is half the battle in
finding a solution!

We are trying to determine if Windows NT with Internet Information
Server (IIS) is capable of providing an effective search engine for a
campus wide web site.

The Core pages and a number of departments and units on campus have
webs located on an NT server located in the library.  For these sites
the indexing works well but it fails on sites located on other servers,
some NT but many not, across campus.  To index the other sites, we have
tried the following using Internet Service Manager:

1) creating a virtual directory for the new site to index
2) from the virtual directory tab under "properties", redirect to a
specified URL.

I suspect we have left some key steps out or are attempting the
impossible.  We've tried exploring the Microsoft Technet CD for
solutions.  We come up empty and are left to wonder if Microsoft
assumes that your distributed site is completely under Windows NT.
Can't seem to find any disclaimers.

Has anyone tried to index other sites from an NT server and come up
with a solution?  Are we running into firewalls or merely the
limitation of the software?

Any pointers to NT solutions would be greatly appreciated as we'd like
to use what we have installed but alternative search engine suggestions
for this mixed server neighborhood would also be welcome.

Thanks!

Sharon Quinn Fitzgerald
Library and Interim Campus Web Manager
University of Maine