ScanDisk / Windows 95

Dale E. Goodell goodeld at wou.edu
Tue Oct 6 13:36:29 EDT 1998

Apologies for cross-posting (cdromlan and web4lib).

Does anyone know how to configure Windows 95 B and the DOS ScanDisk
so that ScanDisk won't run automatically when Windows is started
after not being properly shut down?

The documentation I have from a seminar explains that you can edit
msdos.sys and add "AutoScan=n" to the [options] section, where
n=(0,1,2).  0=ScanDisk will not run; 1=ScanDisk will prompt user to
start; 2=ScanDisk will start automatically.

My experience thus far is that this setting does not work; I am
prompted to run ScanDisk irregardless of this setting whenever I
reboot after Windows wasn't properly shut down.

I would prefer to have ScanDisk not run at all in this situation; my
second choice would be to have ScanDisk start automatically without
prompting the user.

I am trying to resolve this issue on our public workstations, where
we offer access to Netscape and our CD Network.  My goal is to
provide as clean an interface as possible.

How have others dealt with this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dale E. Goodell
User Support Analyst
Western Oregon University Library