Firewall/Filter software for NT4

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Oct 6 00:42:58 EDT 1998

Help, please.  In the last month or two I saw a new product announcement
for a software package that works as a proxy server/firewall/filter system
for businesses or other organizations.  It ran on NT4 and cost $299.  Well,
I clipped the announcement and then promptly lost it.

Now, of course, I need the information on this product, or something
similar (NT4, relatively cheap, etc.)

What we want to do is to block specific sites from our public workstations.
 No, I don't want something that installs on the local machines.  I want to
be able to block all chat, email, and game sites.  I know that we'll never
catch them all, but will at least be able to stop the bozos that try to
camp out on hotmail.com, chat.yahoo.com, and so forth.  The machines have
signs on them forbidding chat, email, and games, and the default page and
the wallpaper also post the policy.  Of course the same clowns over and
over "didn't know it was against the rules" and all that, and we'd sure
like to eliminate some of the aggravation with these folks.

I would consider something that ran on the workstations, but I'd really
like to avoid that, partly for economic reasons, partly due to possible
conflicts with security software.

thanks

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/