spelling conventions

debra shapiro dshapiro at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 2 09:38:10 EDT 1998

At the Internet Scout Project, where we publish the Scout Report and
subject specific Scout Reports
http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/report/index.html

Web-based newletters about Web resources, we follow the Chicago Style
Manual, and use Internet and Web, because they are proper nouns, which
should be capitalized.

We also use Web site (site is NOT a proper noun) and Web page (ditto)

We have the Wired style guide on hand, and they use Web site, also.

regards,

Debra.

>> This is something of a silly question, but what is the convention?
>>
>> Internet / internet
>> Web / web
>> Webpage / webpage // Web page / web page
>> Website / website // Web site / web site
>>
>> I'm consistently inconsistent with the capitalization and spacing of these
>> words and would like to know if there is a standard style for the sake of
>> developing "how-to" [w]eb()pages about [w]eb()page development.
>>
>> -kb
>>
>> (I think it should be "Internet" and "Web", but as for the others ... ??)

>> Kevin W. Bishop
>> Campus-Wide Information System Coordinator
>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
>> 110 8th St. Troy, NY, 12180-3590
>> (518) 276-8332   Fax  276-8559
>> bishopk at rpi.edu