[WEB4LIB] RE: spelling conventions

Margaret F. Dikel mfriley at erols.com
Thu Oct 1 08:00:32 EDT 1998

At 11:52 AM 9/30/98 -0700, Walter Minkel wrote:
>Folks-- Two of us in this department have recently contributed to books
>published by ALA Editions and Neal-Schuman, and the editors there insist
>on "Web site" as two words. One thing I've seen fairly frequently, though,
>is "Web site" (Web capitalized) and "website" (lowercase) in the same
>place. Where are the proactive lexicographers to settle the issue?

Having done my own Internet book and working as a frequent contributor
to articles on the Internet, I think you'll find that publishers/editors
choose a
style and stick with it, no matter what.   My newspaper column editor still
insists on "on-line," but I have convinced the book editors to make some
changes to their accepted lexicon.

Margaret

Margaret Dikel, MSLIS
11218 Ashley Dr.                  The Riley Guide
Rockville, MD  20852           www.dbm.com/jobguide
301-984-4229                      mfriley at erols.com
301-984-6390 FAX             Margaret_Riley at dbm.com