Dynamic Duo XML Class Resumes

Debra Wilcox debraw at manhattan.lib.ks.us
Tue Oct 20 16:26:37 EDT 1998

As there were many of us affected, I am passing on this message I received
today.
Debra

Subject: DUO -- Special Announcement
To: duo-outgoing at kiki.arlington.com

Dear Workshop Participants:

The Dynamic Duo Workshop has resumed with the publication of Tutorial
Four last week.  If for some reason you did not receive it, please
notify me and I will resend.  I know that some people have changed
email addresses since last summer, so if you happen to be aware of a
friend or colleague who failed to receive his or her tutorial, please
advise. Additional tutorials will be forthcoming, but on a delayed
basis.

A few people have written to me indicating that they did not receive
the special announcement/apology letter that I sent out at the
beginning of September.  If you have already seen it, please disregard
the message below.

Thanks.

Tom

Forwarded message [Originally mailed 9-2-98]:
------->8-------
Dear Workshop Participants:

I owe you both an explanation and an apology.

Last summer when I undertook the Dynamic Duo Workshop, it was unclear
to me how unsettled the standards were for those technologies that
support XML.  I refer specifically to XSL, XLink, XPointer and the
DOM. While the recommendation for XML itself is quite stable, I
realized about the beginning of June that I could not rely on some of
the supporting standards--in particular the one for XSL.  It was then
widely rumored that the syntax for XSL would be radically changing.
The XSL spec with the new syntax was promised in July, so I decided to
wait until it was published before completing the workshop.
Unfortunately, the XSL working draft did not finally appear until
August 18, 1998, thus severely delaying the entire workshop.  In
retrospect, it would have been far better had I given you a "heads-up"
on this situation, but I had expected much earlier publication of the
spec.

I certainly am sorry for the delay, and hope to have additional
tutorials out shortly.  I also apologize if you have sent any email
that I have failed to answer.  I will do my best to eventually answer
everyone.

Thank you all for your patience.

Regards,

Tom