[WEB4LIB] Re: E-mail in libraries

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Oct 16 10:53:20 EDT 1998

I thought I was going to stay out of this one.  At the ASU Library  we would
like our library to be everything to every person.  That is, access any
resource right here.  This isn't feasible because like many libraries our
patrons are restricted to the number of available resources which include
computers, databases (CD and WEB), space to install more computers( ethernet
capabilities and floor space), and users not using these resources strictly for
research use.  We do have more computers, which numbers about 55,  available
for patrons than several of the libraries on this list.  At the same time we
have the problem that most PCs are in use while other patrons are waiting to
use these PCs.  This is an excerpt from the University Computer Usage Policy:

"D. Users may neither prevent others from accessing the system nor unreasonably
slow down the system by deliberately running wasteful jobs, playing games,
engaging in non-productive or idle chatting, or sending mass mailings or chain
letters. "

We address email in the same way they address chat because of our limited
resources.  But, there is no way to enforce this policy without monitoring each
user and we don't.  Therefore we like others are stuck with people using email
for non research use which, research, is the main purpose of these machines
just like the books, periodicals, and other resources are here primarily for
research and study use.  Would we not be here for that purpose why would a
University even want a Library on its campus costing the school and government
money.

Every computer lab on campus supports student account access which includes
email access.  Why not use computers for the purpose they were set up for, you
wouldn't normally use a car to grow a flower garden on (even though I have seen
this in an old Life Magazine photo).  I feel that the main issue is not using
email but "how email should be used in a library and how email is used in a
library".  And I am referring specifically to on campus rather than a Public
Library because I am not familiar with their situation.  This is the opinion of
a computer support person with no formal education in Library Science.

Thomas

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit operating
system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine (now Maximum PC)