[WEB4LIB] Netscape Navigator Stand-Alone

Rhyno Art arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca
Thu Nov 12 11:00:00 EST 1998

> With so many computers being placed in publically accessible
> environments (particularly libraries) it amazes me the sparsity of
> products that address these very unique public computing needs.

The other option may be to build your own browser using mainstream
components. With this approach, the components do the hard work (HTML
rendering, caching, etc.) and the application is "glued" together using a
general programming environment like Visual Basic or JavaStudio. This may
also have the advantage that you only add the functionality that you want
to support rather than using 3rd party software to lock out functions that
have been built in. Some starting points for putting together a browser
are:

Microsoft's Internet Web Controls
	http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/buildbrow.htm
Sun's HotJava HTML Component
	http://www.javasoft.com/products/hotjava/bean/index.html
IceSoft Browser Bean
	http://www.icesoft.no/

The only one we have any experience with is IceSoft's product, which is
free to educational institutions. I would be curious if anyone has tried
either the Web Controls or the HotJava HTML Component for building a custom
browser.

art
---
Art Rhyno, Systems Librarian