[WEB4LIB] IP Authentication for Databases-Prob

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Nov 24 18:55:56 EST 1998

At 07:34 PM 11/22/98 -0800, Chris Schlipalius wrote:
>The difficulty we have is if clients of ours want to access IP-restricted
>providers, we have no way at present of giving them an IP that would be
>recognized as ours.
>We cannot change the clients' proxy server settings (as most ISP's have a
>proxy or two that they pass their clients through- eg Squid).

We have several products that are basically ip restricted to our domain.
But, upon request, every one of those gave us a login and password to use
to login our authenticated users.  It is in their best interest to do so.
And they know we have no interest in distributing it.  I'd be amazed if
others won't do the same thing, though you'll have to ask, and sometimes
ask at a higher level than the person who'll say "no, we don't do that".

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/