[WEB4LIB] WebScript and other middleware recommendations

John Little John.Little at Duke.edu
Thu Nov 19 17:07:48 EST 1998

Texis, an RDMS product tweaked for delivering database backed web services,
comes tightly coupled with an integrated middleware product known as
WebScript.  I don't know if it is the same "WebScript" that you mention but
it is a very powerful and elegant tool.

I mention Texis because I have recently reviewed about 5-6 RDMS products for
use in our web environment.  From my investigations Texis has a lot of great
advantages; one of them is WebScript.

Advantages of Texis (and thus WebScript)
1) It excels at text indexing and thus can be very favorably compared to
other web indexing tools such as Verity, SwishE, etc.

2) The web indexing product, Webinator -- an application specific Texis
product, --  can be acquired for free with very good free Email tech
support. (I'll include URLs to some tech support replies below)

3) There is a graduated product migration path.  Meaning your use of
Webinator & WebScript grow with your needs.  Your knowledge of the
application keeps building rather than having to throw out the old tricks
and learn new ones.  Ironically it's very easy to get up and running with
the first level product (Free Webinator/WebScript).

For a company comparison of Webinator/Texis to other full text indexing
tools see:
<http://www.thunderstone.com/texis/webinator/listproc/+jwwBmecdXpWwwww/full.
html>

4) Unlike Verity and other web-text indexers, Webinator/Texis is a general
purpose SQL database.  So it compares favorably to products like Oracle,
MySQL, Sybase, etc.  I don't know of another product that compares very well
in the full text indexing arena but is actually an SQL RDMS.  What sets
Texis/Webinator apart from other SQL RDMS products (aside from WebScript) is
that it is VERY good with text retrieval.   From what I have read (Philip
Greenspun's Guide to Web Publishing
<http://www.photo.net/wtr/thebook/databases-choosing.html>) most SQL RDMS
products such as Oracle focus on transaction processing but their text
indexing is not quite as sweet.  (But please don't misunderstand me to say
Texis is slow.  It's not.  It's fast.).  Oracle actually has an additional
text indexing plug-in.  Texis just does it well natively.

For additional comparisons with Oracle and the like read deep into the
following URL:
<http://www.thunderstone.com/texis/webinator/listproc/+ixenuoVWwBmesUMpXwwww
/full.html>

5) The very powerful middleware product, WebScript, is an integrated/part-of
the Webinator/Texis product line.  So you don't have to run more software to
make this prodcut work on the web.

So in direct response to your question about WebScript.  I like it a lot.
It has so many uses beyond querying the database.   I can only refer you to
Thunderstone to learn more <http://www.thundersone.com/>

And just to complete the Op/Ed piece it's probably worth mentioning that
some very cool web sites use Texis/Webscript as well.  See the
<http://www.zdnet.com/> (PCMag, Computer Shopper, Dev Head, Anchor Desk,
etc.) and <http://www.ebay.com/> (Ebay.com -- the web auction house).

</OP-Ed>

-John.Little at Duke.edu