[WEB4LIB] Re: University of Phoenix/"distance" library services

Ilene Frank (REF) ifrank at dudley.lib.usf.edu
Tue Nov 17 19:39:07 EST 1998

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, David P. Miller wrote:
[snip]
> Even in the case of distance education arrangements with a far-flung student
> body (over many states), there are other approaches to making resources
> available aside from relying only on digital materials. Institutions can
> share their physical resources at a distance, with cross-enrollments that
> allow students to use the campus or city libraries nearest them. Material
> delivery within a region is possible.

Let me echo David's statements here. There's a long history of distance
learners library support especially in countries like Australia. They've
been putting plain old books in the mail forever! Lots of institutions in
the USA are just now developing "remote user friendly policies"  given the
intense interest in distance learning fostered in large part by the web.
I've got a webpage with links to even better web pages about DL services
(see Bernie Sloan's!)

           http://www.lib.usf.edu/~ifrank/dl.html

Lots of institutions providing distance learning are being extremely
responsible about providing their students with a full range of library
services. Some are not doing much at all.

Ilene Frank, Reference Dept.
Tampa Campus Library, LIB 122
University of South Florida, Tampa FL 33620
ifrank at lib.usf.edu        Work 813.974.2483
http://www.lib.usf.edu/~ifrank/