ADA Laws: From Brian

P.A. Gantt pgantt at icx.net
Tue Nov 17 06:43:04 EST 1998

FYI: ADA as it applies to Web Sites as requested...

Just a quick response.  The website with a lot of answers on web
accessibility is:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/

Going through the following links I found the excerpt reprinted below:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/#PAPERS

http://www.yuri.org/webable/disabled.html

People with Disabilities and NII: Breaking
Down Barriers, Building Choice

National Laws and Policies

To summarize the above, there are at least 4 federal statutes (don't
know
about state law) that may require web accessibility:
   1.   Public Law 100-542 (the Telecommunications Accessibility
Enhancement
Act), 40 USC Sec 762 (applies to federal agencies);
   2.   Public Law 102-569, section 508 (a part of the Rehabilitation
Act
Amendments of 1992), Pub. L. 102-569, Oct. 29, 1992, 106 Stat. 4344.  A
far
as I can tell, this was codified at 29 USC Secs. 794d and 2213(d)(6),
and
applies to federal agencies and states receiving (at least certain)
federal
monies;
   3.   the ADA, 42 USC Sec, 12101 et seq.; and
   4.   Sec 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 USC Sec. 794

The last 2 laws do not specifically mention technology accessibility as
far
as I know, but they certainly apply to most governmental or business
websites.

Note: the above was from Brian East of the ADA Law List
who has a wonderful advocacy site I previously sent. The above
law sites may come in handy if anyone wants justification to
upgrade your site for accessibility to the "higher ups."

Here is his site again:

Advocacy, Inc., the Texas protection and advocacy organization

http://www.advocacyinc.org/

Brian is a helpful, caring wonderful source for those needing
ADA referrals and guidance for information that helps.

That's all folks. Have a great rest of week and hope
y'all get to see the meteor shower.

P.

--
P.A. Gantt, Computer Science Technology Instructor
http://user.icx.net/~pgantt/etech/