[WEB4LIB] Usage stats on the WWW

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 4 14:20:13 EST 1998

My private message to Andrea bounced, so I am posting it here. We are
doing that presently by sending our links to commercial databases through
a program that first logs the use, then redirects the user to the
resource. I doubt that they even know what happened, it happens so quickly
and transparently. See the sample Perl code below.
Roy

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
# CHANGE THE ABOVE LINE TO POINT TO YOUR PERL LOCATION

# YOU MUST HAVE 'cgi-lib.pl' OR ELSE USE SOMETHING ELSE TO PARSE INPUT
require ('cgi-lib.pl');
&ReadParse;

$log = "PUT THE FULL PATH TO YOUR LOG FILE HERE";
$path = $ENV{PATH_INFO};
$query = $ENV{QUERY_STRING};

print "HTTP/1.0 301 Document has moved\n";
print "Location: $query\n\n";
open GOLOG, ">>$log";
flock(GOLOG,2);                 # wait for exclusive
seek GOLOG, 0, 2;               # seek to end, refresh buffers
print GOLOG join("\t, scalar localtime, $query,
                  ($ENV{REMOTE_HOST} || "[unknown]")), "\n";
close GOLOG;