[WEB4LIB] RE: URL Promotion, Placement Purchasing

and at dtv.dk and at dtv.dk
Wed Nov 18 04:50:18 EST 1998

arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca said:
> I agree with Theodore and Rod's postings. In addition to subject
> directories, the availability of a non-commercial and reasonably
> comprehensive Internet search engine would be a wonderful resource for
> the library community.

We have provided a regional service for the Nordic countries for some years now
essentially covering the domains *.dk, *.se, *.fi, *.no, *.is, *.fo, *.gl
It is a distributed service jointly maintained by libraries and network
organisations
in the five countries.
(see http://nwi.dtv.dk/ )

arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca said:
> Most search engines do very little with metadata beyond straight
> keyword indexing,

We try to map all metadata to Dublin Core and provide a special search
interface
for people who want to do dedicated metadata searches.
http://nwi.dtv.dk/MD/

arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca said:
> An Internet search engine with Z39.50 support would allow developers
> to leverage years of research by the library community into search and
> retrieval protocols against the  complexities of information retrieval
> on the web

We use Z39.50 to allow cross-searching of the five databases.
(Feel free to try it at nwi.dtv.dk port 2150 database Default)

All of the software we use is freely available so the "only" cost involved is
hardware
and personel.

arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca said:
> Escaping proprietary  weighting algorithms and annoying banner ads
> alone would make this effort  worthwhile.

Agree - thats one of the motivations behind this service.

Regards
Anders

Regards

--
Anders Ardo
Technical Knowledge Center      and     Lund University Library, NetLab
E-mail: and at dtv.dk                      Anders.Ardo at lub.lu.se